keep going.

"Is starting hard? You know it is. I dont know about you when you start, but I clean my desk, I make a lot of stupid appointments that I make sound important. Avoidance, delay. denial. I am always scared that I'm not going to know what to do. It's a terrifying moment. And then when I start, I'm always amazed. Oh, that wasnt so bad." - Frank Ghery

"That thing which I understand by real art is the expression by man of his pleasure in labor" - William Morris

My project is endless phases of starting new, complex, difficult components. I draw a lot of plans, think a lot about how to make each part happen, but actually stepping up to the welding torch or the table saw is a big deal, especially when the materials are increasingly expensive, so there's little room for error. Once I get started, though, it's so much fun. I've been in the woodshop, fashioning the floor switches that are presently the most critical piece to moving forward.

Let me tell you: the simple acts of cutting, drilling, sanding and gluing are so satisfying. So much of art-making is big ideas and hard thinking, crafting something with your hands seems so simple, once you get to it. Good thing I love process and repetition: I've just commited myself to cutting over a hundred feet of steel by hand with a hacksaw. The good news is that once that's done, I have secured my father's help with all the welding work that is now to be done over spring break. This is all coming together.

(I just made another big decision, and purchased a 22" Dell LCD for the project's main display! Progress!)